Corner of Bishopsgate & Threadneedle Street (N. 39), EC2Built: 1874-76Architect: Theodore Knolles GreenLocation: BishopsgateListing: Grade II (1977) The Hampshire Banking Co., which commissioned this building, was established in 1834 as a joint-stock bank and, one year after merging with the… Read More »The Hampshire Banking Co.
7-9 Bishopsgate, EC2Built: 1892Architect: Herbert Alexander PellyLocation: BishopsgateListing: Grade II (1977) Though perhaps not as profuse in detailing or graceful in articulation as some of the more iconic buildings along Bishopsgate and nearby Cornhill and Threadneedle streets, this building is… Read More »New City Chambers
3-5 Bishopsgate, EC2Built: 1877Architect: Thomas Chatfield ClarkeLocation: BishopsgateListing: Grade II (1977) When the Royal Bank of Scotland opened its first London branch in 1874, it was located on Bishopsgate, at No. 124. The adjoining premises were then purchased and this… Read More »Royal Bank of Scotland
18-19 Fleet Street, EC4 Built: 1898-99 Architect: A. C. Blomfield Location: Fleet Street Listing: Grade II (1972) One of a trio of private bank headquarters extant on Fleet Street, this building, like Hoare’s and Child’s, replaced an earlier, plainer one.… Read More »Goslings & Sharpe
1 Fleet Street, EC4Built: 1878-1880Architect: John GibsonLocation: Fleet StreetListing: Grade II* (1970) Sir Francis Child joined Robert Blanchard in the 1660s and moved their operations to this location by 1673, eventually taking over the company and renaming it after himself. … Read More »Child’s Bank
194 Fleet Street, EC4Built: 1886-1888Architect: Sir Arthur BlomfieldLocation: Fleet StreetListing: Grade II (1972) From 1888 to 1975, this purpose-built renaissance-style palazzo housed the Law Courts branch of the Bank of England. The overall articulation of the building is complex, with… Read More »Bank of England Branch
60-62 Lombard Street, EC3Built: 1890 Architect: John Macvicar AndersonLocation: Lombard StreetListing: Grade II (1972) The main decorative elements are the choice of contrasting granite colours for the columns and rather stubby balustrade fronting the first-floor windows. Both main entablatures are… Read More »Commercial Bank of Scotland
1 St. Martin’s Le Grand, EC1Built 1889-1895 Design: Sir Henry TannerLocation: AldersgateListing: not listed The building in question is the third major Post Office structure erected along or near St. Martin’s Le Grand. Now housing corporate offices, it rises on… Read More »The old Telegraph Office